The Puro Story
Hi! My name is Niki Russell. And I have Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)….which basically means I’m partially deaf in both ears. And sadly, it is an entirely preventable condition. But unfortunately for me, we didn’t catch it soon enough. The culprit? My headphones. When I was young, I was listening to them too loudly for too long and over time, it damaged my hearing so much that I now can barely hear my friends talking to me from across the dinner table. Scary, huh? Want to know something even scarier? 1-in-5 teens (approaching 1-in-4) will lose their hearing, too.
After my parents and I came to grips with the diagnosis, we set out to do something about it. This epidemic shouldn’t be affecting so many kids…but with the prevalence of electronic devices hammering out loud music these days, we knew it would be an uphill battle. We scoured the market for headphones that would adequately address the problem and we realized what was going on….NOBODY was addressing this issue adequately. All we could find was cheap, plastic headphones intended for 3-year olds that would either break after a month of use or poorly measure and protect against NIHL. So, we knew what we had to do. To create the world’s best, safest, highest quality headphones. Thankfully, our founder, Dave Russell (my father), had an idea of how to do this after a career in the electronics industry.
So, after countless hours of research, product development, quality testing, and on and on….we’re now rated the world’s best children’s headphones! (Thanks New York Times and Wirecutter!) We’ve created the highest-quality, studio-grade, volume-limiting to 85 dB (the level in which you’re putting your ears in danger) children’s headphones at a price that won’t break the bank. And even better, our headphones are Bluetooth-enabled (no messy, tangled cables), aluminum-bodied (can take a beating from the little ones), enjoy 82% noise isolation (keeps out all the ambient sound), and have the Puro Balanced Response™. Our signature, flat frequency response curve that was developed based on research done by Dr. Sean Olive of the Harman Institute.
Just an FYI…Dr. Olive’s research found that optimally tuned headphones should mimic a perfectly tuned listening room (ie. Someone sitting in an acoustically designed home theater). This minimizes the distortion, still gives you warm bass without being overpowering and allows users to have studio-grade audio quality at lower, safer listening levels (even in noisy environments like airplanes with the noise isolation feature). And we put that technology and brilliant thinking into our Puro headphones. Pretty cool, huh?
We’re just a small, family-owned start-up with a very big goal…eliminate preventable Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in the world’s youth. And we’re incredibly proud of our product and our mission. So much so that we fully-guarantee our headphones with a 30-day money-back guarantee. So please, help us get the word out. We’re working with audiologists, schools, non-profits, pediatricians, and retailers. We’re sold all over the world on Amazon.com and through our website www.purosound.com. But we need you! If you tell your friends, family, teachers, loved ones about this epidemic then maybe one day, no other children will suffer from NIHL as I have.
Thank you so much for reading our story.
Puro Sound Labs Is A Woman Owned Business
Puro Sound Labs, the world's leading manufacturer of premium, safe children and adult headphones, today announced a change in ownership. Founder Dave Russell has decided to sell the company to his daughters, Ashley Warnicki, Christina Russell and Nicole Russell, to both honor Women in the Workplace as we celebrate Women's History Month in March, and also to continue his legacy of providing safe hearing for all.
Established in 2014, Puro Sound Labs is dedicated to fighting the growing epidemic of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss by providing healthy, affordable, high-quality listening products. Original founder Dave Russell learned that his youngest daughter, Nicole, had developed Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) with doctors identifying her headphone's excessive volume as the likely cause. Without a safe alternative to the damaging headphones on the market, Dave set out to create the solution. Puro Sound Labs has since created the world's only studio-grade Bluetooth headphone that puts the safety of one's hearing first. Puro Sound Labs is committed to building awareness and the pursuit of reducing the impact of NIHL by developing new products and technologies to provide a solution to this growing epidemic.
"As a parent who is conscious of my children's hearing health, especially when it comes to sensory-related sensitivities, I can think of no greater joy than knowing Puro Sound Labs will continue to provide noise protection under the guidance of Ashley, Christina, and Nicole" states Puro Sound Labs original founder and CEO, Dave Russell. His daughter, Nicole Russell, added, "While Puro Sound Labs was founded from my personal experience with Noise-Induced Hearing Loss, Ashley, Christina and I are excited to move into the future with fresh ideas on inclusion to provide great sound with safety and comfort for all."
Ashley is a mother of two military kids herself (elementary and middle schoolers) and in her everyday life understands the need to protect their hearing. Also, she recognizes that “school from home” is a way of life in the world and having a quality set of Volume Limiting headphones makes life much easier at home.
Though under new ownership, Puro Sound Labs will continue to work with KultureCity, including hearing protection in over 150+ major entertainment venues in KultureCity's Sensory Inclusion bags. The PuroCalm sound-isolating earmuffs, for instance, are tailored to provide 27dB of safe, comfortable, broad-spectrum noise reduction to protect from harmful noises in loud or disruptive environments, or where limiting distraction is needed.
Puro Sound Labs is dedicated to fighting the growing epidemic of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss by providing healthy, affordable, high-quality products that protect our consumers hearing.
- A Puro headphone set in every child’s hands.
- A drastic reduction in the percentage of children and adults suffering from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss.
- To forever disrupt the headphone industry, with affordable, superior-quality, safe headphones for children
Core Company Values
- Family First – To us, our business is personal. We started the company to protect our families. And now we work every day with our families to make this company great.
- Social Responsibility – Our products not only provide consumers a unique solution to a growing epidemic, but we go one step further by donating a portion of the proceeds of each sale to hearing loss research.
- Highest Quality – Our products are made with the highest quality design and sound standards ensuring a perfect (and healthy) listening experience for our customers.
- Top-Notch Service – We provide industry-leading guarantee programs combined with highly responsive and accessible support staff to drive complete customer satisfaction.
- Having Fun – Driving positive social change makes our jobs fun. And that kind of environment drives the deep levels of respect, passion, and teamwork among our teams.
- Staying Aggressive – We will be relentless in our pursuit of reducing the impact of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss around the world. And we will be tireless in developing new products and technologies to bring a better solution to our customers.
- Creating Partnership – We will constantly seek out business and customer partners to enhance our exposure and build a powerful, broad-reaching network among those dedicated to fighting the Noise-Induced Hearing Loss epidemic.